Huntsman is a global leader in the production of morpholine, an extremely versatile chemical with many important applications. Chemically, morpholine is an amino ether. The ether function of the molecule is typically inert and most morpholine reactions involve the secondary amine group. It is completely miscible with water and a large number of organic solvents, and is itself a solvent for many organic materials, including resins, dyes, waxes, shellac and casein.
Morpholine and its derivatives are used as emulsifiers for cosmetics, waxes and polishes; separating agents for volatile amines; plus as intermediates in the manufacture of optical brighteners, textile lubricants, softening agents, adjuvants, antioxidants, surface-active agents, plasticizers and viscosity improvers. It is also used extensively as a corrosion inhibitor in steam boiler systems.Typical market applications include:
- Rubber vulcanization accelerators for tire production
- Optical brighteners for paper and laundry detergents
- Coatings to make paper glossy
- Pharmaceuticals such as analgesics, anesthetics and other physiologically active agents
- Textile dyes
- Photographic chemicals
- Urethane catalysts
- Solvents for viscose fiber
- Corrosion inhibitors for water-based lubricants
- Biocides and fungicides
For information about DIGLYCOLAMINE® agent (DGA®), click here.