Our Guide to Sustainability Gains
Consumers, investors and regulators now expect apparel and textile brands and retailers to set and meet bold sustainability targets. This requires bold change at the mill level. But how can mills do what’s needed while also improving performance and profitability?
Huntsman Textile Effects’ longstanding Productivity Improvement Program (PIP) and Sustainability Improvement Program (SIP) initiatives help mills and brands leverage their existing plant, equipment and personnel to:
- Reduce operating costs by slashing water and energy usage
- Optimize processes to improve productivity with lower cost
- Boost efficiency with Right-First-Time (RFT) production and faster processing
- Develop differentiated new products that enhance competitiveness
- Reduce chemical usage and minimize replicative chemical purchases
- Safeguard employee safety and improve employee satisfaction
- Minimize greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Stay ahead of regulatory and legislative developments
“With no need for additional capital investment, PIP/SIP redefine what’s possible in sustainability today with product and process innovations that can be actioned immediately,” Anish Paliwal, Global Marketing Manager - CEL & DA, Huntsman Textile Effects, says. “PIP/SIP draws on all of Textile Effect’s application and technical expertise and our insights into regulatory and legislative developments. We provide access to best available technologies that help mills optimize their operations and enhance sustainability and profitability in lockstep.”
What can be achieved: Real-world results
A China-based commission dyeing mill increased output by 23% and reduced costs by 24% after PIP/SIP. This was achieved with no additional capex and even incorporated a 10% increase in the recipe cost due to the adoption of more advanced chemistries for improved product quality and production flow. Key improvements included:
- 8% increase in RFT production
- 50% faster shade matching
- 20% reduction in processing time and energy
Two sportswear mills supplying different global brands turned to Huntsman Textile Effects PIP/SIP to meet higher sustainability requirements and tighter lead times.
- The first mill reduced processing time by 30% and water consumption by 20%, with a reduction in steam consumption of 20% to save energy.
- The second customer also slashed processing time by 28% and steam consumption by 20%, and also reduced water consumption by a whopping 40%.
- Both were able to enhance their competitiveness with a faster response to customers and lower production costs.
How it works: Four-stage process
As a PIP/SIP partner, you have the full support of a team of experts from across Huntsman Textile Effects, providing specialized knowledge and skills in pre-treatment, dyeing, finishing, EHS (environment, health and safety), and more. They will work with you to identify, implement and quantify improvements through a three-stage process that takes place over about six months. Here is how it works:
1. We conduct a base-line audit to identify and quantify possible improvements. Starting from your existing operational processes, this considers best available technologies and best practice in chemical management, as well as current and upcoming regulations. At the end, we present a detailed report of suggested improvements, with clear productivity targets and anticipated savings. We work with you to set timelines and targets for agreed improvements.
2. We work with your mill team to implement identified products, processes, best practices and technologies that will help you reduce costs, enhance productivity and stand out in the market. These might include:
- Dyes that reduce water and energy consumption by up to 50%
- Pre-treatment, dyeing and finishing for recycled polyester
- Innovative non-fluorinated durable water repellents for eco-friendly rain and stain protection
- Innovative eco-friendly antimicrobial and odor-absorbing technologies
- Digital inks for waterless printing
You will receive regular progress reports. We will also adjust the implementation plan as necessary to deliver economic, technological and environmental sustainability that differentiates your business and best meets your unique needs. This phase of the PIP/SIP includes staff training and help to earn target eco labels.
3. We formalize handover with a detailed final review that includes a total cost calculation covering actual water, energy and time savings and CO2 We also ensure the plant team has the knowledge and skills to continue to build towards your sustainability goals.
“After PIP/SIP, we will continue to support you to ensure continuous improvement. Our in-depth knowhow of your processes will enable us to add value by sharing insights into trends and industry changes and by providing access to suitable new technologies, products and concepts,” Axel Lukasch, Global Director, Technical Resource says. “The ultimate goal is to see you grow as a more competitive, differentiated business.”
Anish Paliwal, Global Marketing Manager - CEL & DA, Huntsman Textile Effects
Axel Lukasch, Global Director - Technical Resource, Huntsman Textile Effects