Huntsman to Discuss Latest Polyurethane Innovations at 63rd CPI Technical Conference
THE WOODLANDS, Texas – Huntsman’s Polyurethanes and Performance Products divisions will be taking part in the 63rd Center for the Polyurethanes Industry’s (CPI) 2021 Technical Conference, at the Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center in Aurora, Colorado from Oct. 5-7, 2021.
Huntsman, a sponsor of the event, also will play a key role in conference proceedings with its experts presenting, organizing and moderating technical sessions throughout the three-day program. Topics covered will include low-aldehyde catalysts for flexible and rigid polyurethane foams; innovations in automotive seating; and sustainability in raw materials.
Huntsman is also one of three finalists in the 2021 Polyurethane Innovation Award. The company’s award application highlights a special project with Pursell Agri-Tech – a leader in the North American fertilizer industry for more than a century. Working together, Huntsman and Pursell Agri-Tech have developed the advanced polyurethane-based, PurActive™ controlled-release fertilizer coating. Using Huntsman’s RIMLINE® polyurethane system, this next generation coating technology is designed to bring substantial benefits at each step of the agricultural value chain.
From a manufacturing perspective, PurActive Technology enables lower coat weights, shorter batch times, and significantly lower processing temperatures when compared to traditional fertilizers. By delivering nutrients to crops at the right rate and time, controlled release fertilizers can increase yields and decrease costs for farmers through delivery in a single application.
There are also environmental advantages. Nitrogen not absorbed by plants can make its way into streams and rivers - decreasing the amount of oxygen available to fish and other aquatic wildlife. Because controlled-release fertilizers release nutrients precisely when the plants require them, a higher percentage of nutrients are taken up by the plant. This reduces the amount of nitrogen loss via soil leaching and loss to the air through volatilization.
Specific details of Huntsman’s involvement in CPI conference proceedings are as follows:
Tuesday, Oct. 5
- 2 p.m.: Cynthia Graham and Felicia Seyedkalal will help oversee the organization and moderation of a session focused on Sustainability and the End-of-Life Management of Polyurethanes
- 2:30 p.m.: As part of the session dedicated to Emission Reductions in Flexible and Rigid Foams, the Huntsman team will discuss a novel low-aldehyde catalyst for polyurethane foams. Participants will include Matthew Meredith, Robert Grigsby, DiAnne Pham, Jerry Pilgrim and Sylvia Kelley
- 2:30 p.m.: In the Rigid Construction Technical Session, Ruth Pinto, Jorge Vazquez, Long Han and Mikhail Gelfer will explore the use of DMA Foaming Experiments to Rapidly Optimize Formulations for Flow Demanding Rigid Foam Applications.
Wednesday, Oct. 6
- 9 a.m.: Kicking off day two, Cynthia Graham and Kimi Bahret will help with the delivery of a technical session – sponsored by PU Magazine – exploring Sustainability in Raw Materials in the PU Industry
- 2 p.m.: In the afternoon, Cynthia will also moderate a technical session on EH&S Issues.
Thursday, Oct. 7
- 8 a.m.: On the final morning of the conference, Todd Bates will help oversee a session on Flexible Foam, which will review new technologies and testing methods
- 10:30 a.m.: Mid-morning, as part of a session dedicated to Innovations in Automotive PU, Evan Cheolas will provide the second part of a presentation on searching for a best-in-class test method for automotive seating bolsters; a topic first visited at the last CPI show in 2019.
PurActive™ is a trademark of Pursell Agri-Tech, LLC.
RIMLINE® is a registered trademark of Huntsman Corporation or an affiliate thereof in one or more, but not all, countries.
Huntsman Corporation is a publicly traded global manufacturer and marketer of differentiated and specialty chemicals with 2020 revenues of approximately $6 billion. Our chemical products number in the thousands and are sold worldwide to manufacturers serving a broad and diverse range of consumer and industrial end markets. We operate more than 70 manufacturing, R&D and operations facilities in approximately 30 countries and employ approximately 9,000 associates within our four distinct business divisions. For more information about Huntsman, please visit the company's website at www.huntsman.com.
Huntsman Polyurethanes warrants only that its products meet the specifications agreed with the buyer. Typical properties, where stated, are to be considered as representative of current production and should not be treated as specifications.
While all the information and recommendations in this publication are to the best of our knowledge, information and belief accurate at the date of publication, NO GUARANTY, WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION IS MADE, INTENDED OR IMPLIED AS TO THE CORRECTNESS OR SUFFICIENCY OF ANY INFORMATION OR RECOMMENDATION OR AS TO THE MERCHANTABILITY, SUITABILITY OR FITNESS OF ANY PRODUCTS FOR ANY PARTICULAR USE OR PURPOSE. In all cases, it is the responsibility of the user to determine the applicability of such information and recommendations and the suitability of any product for its own particular purpose.
NOTHING IN THIS PUBLICATION IS TO BE CONSTRUED AS RECOMMENDING THE INFRINGEMENT OF ANY PATENT OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT AND NO LIABILITY ARISING FROM ANY SUCH INFRINGEMENT IS ASSUMED. NOTHING IN THIS PUBLICATION IS TO BE VIEWED AS A LICENCE UNDER ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT.
Products may be toxic and require special precautions in handling. The user should obtain Safety Data Sheets from Huntsman Polyurethanes containing detailed information on toxicity, together with proper shipping, handling and storage procedures, and should comply with all applicable safety and environmental standards.
Hazards, toxicity and behaviour of the products may differ when used with other materials and are dependent on the manufacturing circumstances or other processes. Such hazards, toxicity and behaviour should be determined by the user and made known to handlers, processors and end users.
Huntsman Polyurethanes is an international business unit of Huntsman International LLC. Huntsman Polyurethanes trades through Huntsman affiliated companies in different countries such as Huntsman International LLC in the USA and Huntsman Holland BV in Western Europe.
Except where explicitly agreed otherwise, the sale of products referred to in this publication is subject to the general terms and conditions of sale of Huntsman International LLC or of its affiliated companies.
© Copyright 2021. Huntsman Corporation or an affiliate thereof. All rights reserved.