Huntsman Announces Development of New Materials Designed to Boost Battery Performance and Protection
New technologies will be introduced at The Battery Show, Messe Stuttgart, Germany Visit Huntsman May 23-25, 2023 at Booth 8-A40
Everberg, BELGIUM – Huntsman will announce the development of innovative polyurethane, carbon nanotube and epoxy materials at The Battery Show this week, which are all designed to help improve the integration of batteries into electric vehicles and enhance their protection and performance.
In a move that helps to deliver high-performance composite battery structures, alongside design and production flexibility, Huntsman has assembled a portfolio of customizable, quick-cure, high-strength polyurethane and epoxy resins that can be used to create underbody and top cover battery protection components up to 30% quicker than some existing technologies. Crucially, the products can also lower overall part weight and increase strength and structural performance. A range of products is currently available covering various battery performance and protection needs:
- Targeting underbody battery protection, Huntsman offers RIMLINE® WCM system – a low viscosity liquid resin that enables the moulding of high fiber volume fraction composites under low pressure. Balancing a long working life and short cure time with easy mould release, this system can help reduce overall cycle times and is formulated for use on high pressure-mix machines.
- For battery enclosures, ARALDITE® FST resins allow the design of flame retardant composite These OEM- qualified systems have proven performance and reliability, meeting battery safety requirements.
- Targeting battery underfloor protection, Huntsman has developed three products:
RIMLINE FC (foam core) system can offer a cost-effective solution for manufacturing sandwich composites. This lightweight system has great flow properties, which can help with the creation of complex 3D shapes. This system can typically also adhere well to different overmoulding materials and cure quickly for fast cycle times.
RIMLINE® LFI (long fiber injection) resin system can be moulded into strong stiff parts with a density of – for example – 1100 kg/m3 including 30% glass fiber reinforcement. The resulting parts can help to provide lower total sandwich thickness and improved damage tolerance.
- ARALDITE® 3031 / 3032 WCM system has proven in operation to combine fastest processing cure time and outstanding mechanical properties and stiffness.
- RIMLINE FC (foam core) system can offer a cost-effective solution for manufacturing sandwich composites. This lightweight system has great flow properties, which can help with the creation of complex 3D shapes. This system can typically also adhere well to different overmoulding materials and cure quickly for fast cycle times.
- Targeting top cover applications, our VITROX® WCM system enables the development of composite lid structures that can help achieve thermal resistance while reducing weight compared to metallic cover ARALDITE® SMC solutions enable part design freedom for semi-structural applications and requirements.
- In the electric vehicle battery cell, Huntsman has also developed a range of materials that help with lightweighting and improved conductivity, as well as thermal, vibration, and structural protection.
SHOKLESS™ encapsulation foam and elastomer systems help to create potting foams and encapsulants that are mechanically strong and have the thermal insulation and vibration dampening properties needed to protect batteries at a cell, module, and pack level.
ARATHANE® thermally conductive adhesives and encapsulants provide excellent mechanical fixation and thermal connection, enabling effective heat management from the cells and enabling new battery pack designs and higher performance batteries.
- For battery cell producers looking to increase the capacity of their cells or interested in reduction of the weight of their cells, Huntsman has introduced MIRALON® NMP Dispersions and MIRALON® Current Collectors. The MIRALON® NMP Dispersions for LFP and high-nickel cathodes offer high conductivity with much lower concentration than carbon black and are rate performance-compatible with fast charging protocols. MIRALON® Current Collectors for ultra-lightweight applications can replace heavier metallic current
- SHOKLESS™ encapsulation foam and elastomer systems help to create potting foams and encapsulants that are mechanically strong and have the thermal insulation and vibration dampening properties needed to protect batteries at a cell, module, and pack level.
Huntsman serves customers along the automotive value chain, delivering innovative, value-added solutions to the world’s best-known car brands to support their comfort and sustainability ambitions. Huntsman’s portfolio of battery materials includes our ULTRAPURE® carbonates, high-purity solvents for electrolytes that are critical to the reliable operation of lithium-ion batteries and long working life for electric vehicles. Additional key areas of expertise include lightweighting, encapsulation and insulation of electric and electronic parts, high-performance polyurethane systems for seating, interior trim, acoustic insulation, and composite panel applications. To find out more, please visit https://www.huntsman.com/markets/automotive-and-transportation/automotive/battery-materials
About Huntsman: Huntsman Corporation is a publicly traded global manufacturer and marketer of differentiated and specialty chemicals with 2022 revenues of approximately $8 billion from our continuing operations. Our chemical products number in the thousands and are sold worldwide to manufacturers serving a broad and diverse range of consumer and industrial end markets. We operate more than 60 manufacturing, R&D and operations facilities in approximately 30 countries and employ approximately 7,000 associates within our continuing operations. For more information about Huntsman, please visit the company's website at www.huntsman.com.
Statements in this release that are not historical are forward-looking statements. These statements are based on management's current beliefs and expectations. The forward-looking statements in this release are subject to uncertainty and changes in circumstances and involve risks and uncertainties that may affect the company's operations, markets, products, services, prices, and other factors as discussed in the Huntsman companies' filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Significant risks and uncertainties may relate to, but are not limited to, volatile global economic conditions, cyclical and volatile product markets, disruptions in production at manufacturing facilities, reorganization or restructuring of Huntsman’s operations, including any delay of, or other negative developments affecting, the spin-off of Venator Materials Corporation, the ability to implement cost reductions and manufacturing optimization improvements in Huntsman businesses and realize anticipated cost savings, and other financial, economic, competitive, environmental, political, legal, regulatory and technological factors. The company assumes no obligation to provide revisions to any forward-looking statements should circumstances change, except as otherwise required by applicable laws.
ARALDITE®, ARATHANE®, RIMLINE®, MIRALON®, ULTRAPURE® and VITROX® are registered trademarks of Huntsman Corporation or an affiliate thereof and SHOKLESS™ is a trademark of Huntsman Corporation or an affiliate thereof in one or more, but not all, countries.
While all the information and recommendations in this publication are to the best of our knowledge, information and belief accurate at the date of publication, NOTHING HEREIN IS TO BE CONSTRUED AS A WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR OTHERWISE. IN ALL CASES, IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER TO DETERMINE THE APPLICABILITY OF SUCH INFORMATION AND RECOMMENDATIONS AND THE SUITABILITY OF ANY PRODUCT FOR
ITS OWN PARTICULAR PURPOSE. The sale of products referred to in this publication is subject to the general terms and conditions of sale of Huntsman International LLC or of its affiliated companies.
Released May 23, 2023