Huntsman Corporation's Sustainability Report Focuses on Water Insecurity
THE WOODLANDS, Texas, Oct. 30, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- In its most recent sustainability report, "Water Dependent, Water Responsible," Huntsman Corporation (NYSE: HUN) explores global water scarcity and discusses its responsibilities in reducing intake, optimizing processes, innovating new products to save water resources, protecting the environment and sharing solutions to water needs with neighbors.
Huntsman published its report on October 30. The report covers the corporation's sustainability initiatives from calendar year 2014, including performance against 11 key metrics from the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. It also features Huntsman's annual Communication on Progress to the United Nations Global Compact and highlights examples from around the Huntsman world of water conservation and protection, including:
- Reduce: Huntsman manufacturing plants in Texas implemented measures to limit water use by as much as 30 percent during the state's worst drought since 1895. Those measures remain in effect today, despite the drought being over.
- Optimize: Global consolidation of a Huntsman division that supports the water-dependent textiles industry shrank its environmental footprint while reducing water intake and discharge rates by 30 percent.
- Innovate: Huntsman's chemical product innovations help agriculture, food processing and other industries consume less water in their own operations.
- Protect: In Finland, Huntsman's manufacturing site uses 16 billion gallons of river water annually to manufacture its product, but returns 90 percent of it to the river cleaner than it was originally, while also providing emergency potable water supplies to the city where it is located.
- Share: In India, Huntsman provides nearly 3,000 gallons of clean drinking water daily to residents of villages neighboring its plant in Baroda.
"In this year's report, we focus on an aspect of risk management and sustainability that has captured our attention and that of our many stakeholders in recent years," said Huntsman Corporate Sustainability Officer Ron Gerrard. "Huntsman appreciates and respects precious natural resources like water. We are committed to managing this essential element to ensure we protect the long-term sustainability of our company and that of society as a whole."
This is Huntsman's fifth sustainability report since launching its corporate sustainability initiative in 2010.
Huntsman Corporation is a publicly traded global manufacturer and marketer of differentiated chemicals with 2014 revenues of approximately $13 billion including the acquisition of Rockwood's performance additives and titanium dioxide businesses. Our chemical products number in the thousands and are sold worldwide to manufacturers serving a broad and diverse range of consumer and industrial end markets. We operate more than 100 manufacturing and R&D facilities in more than 30 countries and employ approximately 16,000 associates within our 5 distinct business divisions. For more information about Huntsman, please visit the company's website at www.huntsman.com.
Statements in this release that are not historical are forward-looking statements. These statements are based on management's current beliefs and expectations. The forward-looking statements in this release are subject to uncertainty and changes in circumstances and involve risks and uncertainties that may affect the company's operations, markets, products, services, prices and other factors as discussed in the Huntsman companies' filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Significant risks and uncertainties may relate to, but are not limited to, financial, economic, competitive, environmental, political, legal, regulatory and technological factors. The company assumes no obligation to provide revisions to any forward-looking statements should circumstances change, except as otherwise required by applicable laws.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/huntsman-corporations-sustainability-report-focuses-on-water-insecurity-300169298.html
SOURCE Huntsman Corporation
Released October 30, 2015